Buying or selling a Home in Kent

Whether you are buying or selling a property, seeking to remortgage your home, or simply looking for trusted legal advice in relation to a residential property conveyancing matter, Wellers Reece-Jones’ solicitors in Sevenoaks are able to provide knowledgeable and practical support, backed by a team you can rely on.

We understand that any residential conveyancing matter is likely to be a significant legal, financial and family event and we can help lift the burden by preventing potential pitfalls and providing robust personalised advice to help you negotiate the many challenges you may encounter.

From the most basic, straightforward transactions to the most complex and challenging, we are dedicated to helping you ensure that no aspect of the transaction is overlooked.

Step by Step Guide to a Purchase

Step by Step Guide to a Sale


Wellers Reece-Jones’ areas of expertise include the following:


Help to Buy and Shared Ownership

Shared Ownership is part of the government’s Help to Buy programme along with Help to Buy Equity Loans. Shared Ownership enables a buyer or buyers (usually a first-time buyer) to purchase a proportion of a house or flat from a social landlord or housing association and pay rent on the part they do not own.

Help to Buy Equity Loans involve the government lending the buyer a percentage (up to 20%) of the cost of a new-build home. The buyer must provide a minimum 5% deposit and get a mortgage for 75% of the total property value.

Our residential conveyancing solicitors in Kent have plenty of experience in dealing with Shared Ownership and Help to Buy equity loan transactions and can help you ensure a safe and straightforward process.

Complex conveyancing matters

Our residential conveyancing team in Sevenoaks specialises in “hot-topic” property issues such as estate rent charges, buying a freehold, repossessions, TOLATA claims, dividing a property title and complex transactions, including Bank of Mum and Dad (BoMaD) property transactions – for more information, click here .

We are assisted by a specialist team of solicitors and support staff at Wellers Reece-Jones, and across the Wellers Law Group, that is committed to helping with all aspects of residential conveyancing and associated legal matters.

Expertise in cross-border/overseas purchases – particularly US to the EU

Our residential property lawyers in Kent also bring international legal expertise to assist in all legal matters associated with property transactions that involve the buying or selling of residential property in cross-border circumstances, particularly those that involve the United States or European Union member states.

We can assist with full due diligence checks and have significant knowledge and resources to negotiate the numerous hurdles which may be encountered during an overseas property transaction dealing with multiple jurisdictions.

Listed building transactions

Our residential conveyancing solicitors in Sevenoaks have considerable experience of acting in relation to listed building property transactions across Kent.

Any building still in its original condition which was built before 1700 is likely to be listed, as well as many building built before 1840. And any building erected between 1840 and 1914 which may be of historical significance may also be on the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.

There are three grades of listing. These are as follows:

  • Grade I: buildings of exceptional national importance.
  • Grade II*: important buildings of more than special interest, with some national significance.
  • Grade II: buildings of special interest but mainly of local importance.

We can help you decide whether it is in your interests to pursue such a transaction and can help with all the legal challenges you might face in relation to a building that has been placed on the national register.

A listed building is:

  • The building or structure itself.
  • Any object or structure fixed to the building.
  • Any object or structure within the area of land the building sits on (‘curtilage’) if it was in place prior to 1 July 1948.

We can also assist clients in relation to local planning authority building preservation notices that are made in relation to buildings currently unlisted, as well as with alterations made under a Listed Building Heritage Partnership Agreement (HPA). Other areas of expertise include Listed Building Consent Orders (LBCO) and Local Listed Building Consent Orders (LLBCO)

House sales in conservation areas

Kent has numerous areas in towns and villages which have qualified for their conservation status. For instance, there are 41 designated conservation areas in the Sevenoaks District Council region. These include Chiddingstone, Edenbridge, Riverhead, and Westerham.

Under Section 69 of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservations Areas) Act 1990 a local authority can designate specific areas of land as “conservation areas”. Examples of these include common land, greens, parks, and areas with unique features of historical significance such as street furniture, benches and railings.

It is not always obvious that a property is in a conservation area. In fact, it may sometimes only become apparent once the draft contract is received by the purchaser’s conveyancing solicitor. However, the Property Information Form requires the vendor to confirm whether a property is located in a conservation area.

Wellers Reece-Jones can help you consider all the important issues when buying or selling a property in a conservation area so that you can proceed with your transaction in confidence.

Legal issues relating to agricultural restrictions

It can be difficult buying a property that has an agricultural restriction or ‘agricultural tie’, such as an Agricultural Occupancy Condition (AOC). If you are contemplating the purchase of a Kent rural idyll in an unspoilt location amidst acres of green and pleasant farmland, then you may just find that there is a planning or usage restriction attached to your chosen property.

Wellers Reece-Jones can help with all aspects of agricultural restrictions as well as all matters related to property transactions and Section 290(i) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971. We can guide you through the formal process of seeking a ‘change of use’ through the local authority and help you assess the full legal, financial and time implications of dealing with an agricultural restriction.

Conveyancing solicitors in Kent

Wellers Reece-Jones’s conveyancing solicitors in Sevenoaks marry exceptional, dedicated and innovative service with all the benefits of a traditional firm: we have extensive links to the community, including estate agents, mortgage brokers, developers and banks. We ensure that our relationships are there to serve you, working towards your benefit and your ultimate aims.

For more information about the legal help we can offer you when you are buying a home in Kent, contact our Sevenoaks team today.