Property law specialists with local knowledge and expertise
Wellers Hedleys’ property and conveyancing solicitors in Surrey specialise in all aspects of residential and commercial property law, including leasehold and freehold transactions.
We have the in-depth knowledge and practical expertise necessary to help make the legal processes associated with property transactions as clear and hassle-free as possible.
Whether you are looking for assistance with a residential property transaction or are looking to acquire a commercial property we can assist you. Whether you are buying or selling in Effingham or East Horsley, Guildford or Dorking, we can help; our property solicitors have the whole of Surrey and the surrounding areas covered.
Residential property solicitors in Surrey
For many people, buying a home is the most important life event outside of births, deaths and marriages. Wellers Hedleys’ property and conveyancing solicitors in Surrey understand this, so we work to ensure that the whole process is as smooth and easy-to-understand as possible.
We have made our reputation in Surrey by marrying a first-class service with clear and competitive rates. Whether you are buying or selling a home, are looking to remortgage, would like to transfer equity, have questions about shared ownership or indeed require assistance with any other aspect of residential property law, we can help you achieve your objectives.
Commercial property solicitors
If you would like expert legal help with a commercial property transaction from an established legal firm in Surrey, we are here to help. We have every all transactions covered, from those involving industrial premises to those relating to retail, leisure or religious sites.
Furthermore, as well as helping with commercial property transactions, we can also provide guidance and support with legal issues that arise out of a dispute. For more information contact the commercial property solicitors in one of our three Surrey offices today.
Our areas of expertise in Surrey
Whatever your needs, if you would like advice and representation related to a commercial or residential property transaction in Surrey, contact us today.
Our areas of expertise include the following:
- Sale and purchase of freehold and leasehold land: If you are planning to purchase the freehold to a property, extend the leasehold on your home, or require clarification regarding another aspect of freehold or leasehold land, our property solicitors in Surrey can help you.
- Property development: Whether you are a private investor, a large house builder or another party involved in a building project, we can help you anticipate potential issues related to a commercial property development in the Surrey area and can provide legal advice and services that are tailored to your specific circumstances. With local knowledge built up over four decades, we have an astute understanding of the systems and processes for property development in Surrey, including due diligence checks and pre-contract negotiations. Speak to us today about your project.
- Option agreements: Wellers Hedleys’ property solicitors in Surrey can we help you negotiate the legalities of an option agreement, including those relating to planning permission and other contingent complexities whether for a vacant property, land or for a potential property development. Whether you are considering a call option, put option or cross option, our experienced property solicitors have the specialist local knowledge to assist you.
- Secured lending: Working with banks and specialist lenders, the team at Wellers Hedleys can advise on the lending or borrowing of money for commercial property transactions. Our team of solicitors in Surrey can also act for you if you need to secure finance against a commercial property.
- Residential and commercial leases: Whether you are looking to become party to a commercial or residential lease, we can help you ensure that no aspect of the deal is overlooked. We can assist with drafting, reviewing, amending and extending leases. We can also advise on the legality of break clauses and act for you in commercial lease disputes.
- Lease extensions: Negotiating a commercial lease extension can be a stressful experience. By taking early advice and prompt action, you can reduce stress and, potentially, cost. It is always our priority to seek the outcome you desire, using pragmatic, robust legal advice to ensure the best solution for your situation.
- Enfranchisement: Enfranchisement gives a tenant the ability to either extend their residential lease or acquire the freehold of the property they are leasing. There are many benefits to enfranchisement, however, advice is essential if you are to serve your landlord a “notice of tenants’ claim” and acquire the property under collective enfranchisement. The process and criteria for collective enfranchisement, as set out in the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Development Act 1993, are exacting and legal representation is essential.
- Transfers of equity: Transfer of equity is the process of changing the legal ownership of a property. Whether you are seeking to transfer ownership as a result of divorce or a court order, as a gift, or for any other motive, legal advice is essential to ensure all considerations including Capital Gains Tax, Stamp Duty Land Tax and any issues in respect of a mortgage are handled correctly.
- Equity release: Equity release includes a number of products which allow people over the age of 55 to access money (equity) tied up in their home. Equity release requires careful consideration and we can help you understand the implications of lifetime mortgages, retirement Interest only mortgages and home reversion, as well as ensuring all legal processes in respect of your equity release property transaction are correct and that your rights are maintained.
- Declarations of trust: A declaration of trust (DoT) lays out the proportions in which property ownership is divided between two or more individuals, regardless of the land registry title entry. A declaration of trust can also be used to appoint a trustee to hold property for a beneficiary. DoTs can be particularly useful for Bank of Mum and Dad transactions, where part or all of the capital is provided by parents but the title will be held in the child’s name. Completing a declaration of trust for beneficial interest protects the parents’ interests but they won’t have to be named on the mortgage. Wellers Hedleys’ property solicitors in Surrey can help you draft a declaration of trust in accordance with your wishes to ensure that the rights of all parties are maintained.
- Adverse possession: Commonly known as ‘squatters’ rights’, adverse possession claims are common. Adverse possession is said to occur when an individual person who is not the title owner occupies an area of land for 10 or 12 years, at which point they may be able to apply to the Land Registry to seek ownership title of the land. Our experienced property lawyers can help you negotiate this complex area of the law. Adverse possession may also be necessary or beneficial in cases where property borders are not clearly documented and one party is planning to sell their property.
- Property auctions: Our property auction solicitors have the experience and expertise you need to ensure speedy resolution of the critical conveyancing issues associated with the purchase or sale of a property via auction. For bidders, we can also help you identify key issues from the legal pack relating to any property you are interested in and any potential ramifications related to the purchase.
- Help to buy and shared ownership: Shared ownership and Help to Buy schemes are increasingly popular, particularly in areas such as Surrey where it can otherwise be difficult for first-time buyers to get a foothold on the property ladder. Wellers Hedleys residential property solicitors in Surrey have detailed practical knowledge of the law as it relates to these kinds of transactions and have developed strong working relationships with the relevant Surrey shared ownership and Help to Buy agencies.</li
This list is by no means exhaustive, if you have got a property or conveyancing based legal issue, especially in the Surrey Hills area, contact Wellers Hedleys today.
Wellers Hedleys Property Solicitors in Surrey
Our team of residential and commercial property solicitors has specialist local knowledge of Dorking, Leatherhead, Ashtead, Epsom, Guildford and the surrounding areas. Our team is passionate about finding the most suitable and practical solutions for our clients and delivering them in a timely, cost-effective manner.
Get in touch with us today for a first-class legal service you can rely on. Please call on 01372 750100.