Whilst you should have a Declaration of Trust if you and your partner own a property together you might also want to consider having a Cohabitation Agreement also known as a Living Together Agreement.

An agreement can be a great idea to set out who owns what and in what proportions. It can cover things you own separately or things you own jointly to include assets you may acquire during your relationship. It allows you to specify who gets what on relationship breakdown. It can also deal with how children will be supported, housed etc and allows you to record how day to day finances will be split, right down to the mortgage and utilities.

It is, therefore, the perfect vehicle for you both to discuss and record a third party contribution and how it will be dealt with on relationship breakdown.

Despite what people may believe, as a couple you do not have the same rights as you get through being married. Therefore the agreement can be used to protect funds but also to make sure that the correct provision is available for each of you and any children too.

Contact us

Please contact us if you need to know more. You can fill out our enquiry form and we will get back to you.

If you can’t find the information you are seeking or just want a fuller explanation please call us. We have a number of offices in and around London that may be convenient for you to contact but we will be able to help wherever you are based.

  • London
    London City office: 020 7481 2422
  • Bromley
    Bromley office: 020 8464 4242
  • Surrey
    Surrey office: 01483 284567
  • Sevenoaks
    Sevenoaks office: 01732 457575
  • Chislehurst
    Chislehurst office: 020 8295 1989