Helping a family member to buy their own home is great thing to do. Getting it right in terms of dotting the i’s crossing all the t’s is just as important so that the good deed doesn’t unravel in the future.

There are a number of important documents and a few rules that you need to be aware of:

  • Cohabitation Agreement – An agreement between unmarried couples which sets out the future relationship, including financial matters such as who owns what and in what proportions
  • Pre/Post Nuptial Agreement – Agreements between married partners that sets out what each party brings into the marriage from a financial point of view.
  • Declaration of Trust – Also known as a Deed of Trust, it is a legally binding document that recognises the financial arrangements between property owners and other parties that may have an interest.
  • PETs – These are gifts that are potentially exempt from tax provided that the person making the gift does not die within a specified period of time (seven years) so as to prevent the gifts from being a means of avoiding Inheritance Tax.
  • Loan Agreement – As you might expect this is an agreement that sets out the terms of a loan.

Contact us

Please contact us if you need to know more. You can fill out our enquiry form and we will get back to you.

If you can’t find the information you are seeking or just want a fuller explanation please call us. We have a number of offices in and around London that may be convenient for you to contact but we will be able to help wherever you are based.

  • London
    London City office: 020 7481 2422
  • Bromley
    Bromley office: 020 8464 4242
  • Surrey
    Surrey office: 01483 284567
  • Sevenoaks
    Sevenoaks office: 01732 457575
  • Chislehurst
    Chislehurst office: 020 8295 1989