How to Sue the Council

Have you been let down by your local council? Have you been left out of pocket or suffering in difficult circumstances through their inability to provide you with services you are entitled to or their negligence? Wellers Law Group has set up our Fair Deal service to help you with issues on housing, slips and trips, mis-use of personal data and employee claims against councils.

If so, the team at Wellers Fair Deal can help.

Understanding your situation

When you need to sue the council, you will almost certainly need legal assistance to ensure your claim is handled in the right way. Our team of highly experienced lawyers can help you make a claim against the council for a number of different situations.

Our Fair Deal service is headed by James Manning, a solicitor with an in-depth understanding of your entitlements and how to address them successfully. He is supported by Fair Deal team members with expertise in personal injury, employment law, and property matters.

James has amassed more than 20 years’ experience in advising and defending councils and council-run organisations. This experience has given him significant insight into the council claims process and he now acts for claimants to ensure they are treated fairly and are able to seek the justice they deserve.

James Manning

James Manning

What’s the problem?

Click on the links below to find out more about the different types of council claims we can help you with.

Housing and Housing Disrepair Claims

You have a right to expect that your council home is suitable, secure, safe to inhabit, and repaired to a satisfactory standard.

If you are living in conditions that do not meet these basic rights, you should reasonably expect the council to rectify the situation. If the council does not and you are living in unsuitable housing or living with urgent housing disrepair, it is your right to seek redress.

Housing Disrepair claims may include:

  • Damp and mould issues
  • Roof leaks and water ingress
  • Heating and hot water issues
  • Dangerous building structure
  • Electrical safety hazards
  • Ventilation and double glazing issues

The primary objective for our housing law solicitors when making a claim against a council landlord is to ensure that your health and well-being are maintained and, in housing disrepair claims, that your home is repaired to a satisfactory standard.

If we feel that you have been let down in a way which has caused financial and other types of suffering we may advise you to seek compensation.

Read our page on Housing Disrepair Claims for more information.

Personal Injury Claims against the Council

If you slip or trip in a public place which is maintained by the council, you may be able to make a claim for compensation in respect of your pain, suffering, and financial losses if your injuries were caused by the council’s negligence.

For instance, if you trip on a damaged, unrepaired pavement and break your leg which means you cannot work for several months or if you fall over an obstacle because street lighting was in disrepair and you suffer a life-changing head injury, you may be able to claim compensation.

Similarly, if your child suffers personal injury in a council-run school and the school is deemed negligent, you will be able to claim compensation on your child’s behalf for their pain, suffering, and any future losses they might incur.

Our dedicated team of personal injury solicitors has helped many clients to make claims against the council for compensation.

Employee Claims against a Council

If you are employed by the council, either as a direct council employee or an agency worker, you are protected by the same laws that protect all other employees.

Wellers Fair Deal solicitors can help you make a claim against the council for the following:

  • Employment Claims – You can make an employment tribunal claim if you have suffered discrimination at work, unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal, a pay dispute, equality discrimination, and more.
  • Accident at work claims – The council owes you the same duty of care that all employers must provide for their employees. If your accident was caused by the negligence of the council or a colleague, you have the right to make a claim against the council.

Whether you work directly for the council in a council building or in another type of workplace, such as a council-run school or college, a council-run care home, a council-run waste management site, or any other facility or workplace for which the council is responsible, the solicitors at Wellers Fair Deal can help you make a claim for compensation.

Damage to Property

The council may be liable if your property was damaged while you were in a public space and the damage was caused as a result of the council’s negligence.

For example, if your car was damaged in a pothole accident and the pothole had been reported but not repaired in a reasonable amount of time, the council might be held responsible for the repair costs to your vehicle.

Similarly, if council workers damage your property, perhaps during road works or while fixing council buildings or if your property is damaged because the council has neglected to maintain facilities such as roads, buildings and parks, you may be able to claim for the cost of damages.

Abuse Claims against the Council

Survivors of sexual, physical, or mental abuse in council settings can make claims for compensation if the abuse took place in any of the following settings:

  • A council care home
  • A foster care placement arranged by the council
  • A council-run school
  • Sports facility classes run by the council, such as at school swimming lessons

Even if the abuse happened many years ago, time limitations for historical abuse claims may be lifted to allow survivors who have suffered significant trauma as children to be able to come forward as adults to seek justice.

Education Claims

You may be able to make a claim for compensation against a council-run school or college if you or your child has suffered loss as a result of the following:

  • exclusion
  • unfair or discriminatory admission processes
  • discrimination or harm relating to additional needs and disability support
  • discrimination in relation to gender, race, or religious beliefs
Data Protection

Councils collect, use and share considerable amounts of personal data in order to provide services to local residents.

However, as a council resident, you should reasonably expect that this information will be protected. Details that identify you, such as your name, address, health conditions and even CCTV footage of you as you go about your daily life must be processed lawfully and securely, and used in a fair, transparent manner.

Your local council is subject to the EU-wide General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and well as the Date Protection Act 2018. If you believe that your data protection rights have been breached you may be able to sue the council.

Contact the Wellers Fair Deal service to see if we can help you seek redress.

Wellers Fair Deal – Get the Legal Help you Need

At Wellers Fair Deal, we understand that being let down by your local council is more than simply being unfair – it can cause a number of issues including pain, suffering, and financial loss.

We are here to help.

  • We will listen to your circumstances so that we can understand the problem.
  • We will explain the options and solutions available to you.
  • We will explain how we can help.

If you feel you have been let down by your council, contact James to see if you might be able to claim.

Contact Wellers Fair Deal on 020 7481 2422 or email today.