The Cost of Divorce
The question we are most frequently asked about divorce is, “How much is this going to cost me?”
Many people are tempted to instruct the cheapest solicitor, but when in life has the cheapest been what is best for you?
Expert legal advice on divorce and value for money
Our rates are very competitive given our level of experience and compared to firms in central London.
We do offer an initial reduced rate consultation for £100 plus VAT.
Half hour free consultations available for divorce, finances and children
Each month the Wellers family law teams in Bromley and central London, Wellers Reece-Jones in Sevenoaks and Wellers Hedleys in Bookham are offering a free half hour consultation to the first six callers to each of our offices.
It’s a great opportunity to get your questions answered and better understand your options regarding divorce, financial matters and access to children.
Unfortunately we are not able to advise you if you will be seeking legal aid as we do not offer that service and we do not offer advice regarding children where the local authority/children services are involved.
Please call on 020 8290 3985 for the Bromley team, 01732 446374 for Sevenoaks, 01372 750117 to talk to a family lawyer in Surrey and 020 7481 6393 for central London.
We do not offer legal aid and do not believe in fixed fees. Fixed fees means you get a fixed level of service and we believe that every client is different and, as such, treat them as an individual and not just a number.
However, we can give you an idea how much your divorce case is going to cost.
Managing the cost of divorce
Once we are acting on your behalf , we will provide you with regular monthly or bi-monthly bills so that you do not find yourself in the position of having to pay sporadic large bills. Typically, these bills will be for a few hundred pounds which we believe to be a more manageable way of spreading the cost of divorce. In addition, should you wish, you can set a limit on the amount of your fees and we will advise you as soon as it appears that the limit may be exceeded. We will not exceed that limit without your consent.
As a general guide we advise that our fees are as follows:
Divorce, petitioner – £1,500 – £2,000 plus VAT plus court fee of £550
Protracted divorce – Estimate £3,000 – £5,000 plus VAT plus disbursements
Finances on divorce
- Negotiations between yourselves: Our costs for considering a draft agreement, forwarding it to your spouse’s solicitors, dealing with basic amendments and completing other paperwork associated with the filing of the documents – £3,000 – £3,500 plus VAT, and disbursements.
- Mediation: if you only wish for us to advise on an agreement reached at mediation, our costs will be in the region of £3,000 – £3,500 plus VAT and disbursements. If legal advice is required on the document, then full financial disclosure will be required and we would estimate costs to be a further £2,500 – £3,000 plus VAT and disbursements.
- Negotiations by solicitors: We would suggest a preliminary limit of £5,500 to £6,000 plus VAT.
- Court proceedings: Our costs from issuing proceedings would be £6,000 – £7,000 plus VAT plus disbursements, up to and including first appointment hearing. If settlement is not reached to that point and the matter proceeds to a second hearing, our costs will be in the region of £10,000 – £13,000 plus VAT plus disbursements. If we fail to reach a settlement on or before this hearing, there will be a final hearing and our costs will increase by a further £15,000 – £20,000 plus VAT plus disbursements.
- Final Hearing: If the matter proceeds to a final hearing, then we anticipate our costs overall from the issuing of proceedings to final hearing, would be in the region of £30,000.00 – £40,000 plus VAT plus disbursements.
We can give you some general guidance as to fees. If you and your partner have to go to court in relation to the ownership/division of property then your costs to final hearing could be in region of £20-25,000 plus vat. If you and your partner have to go to court over the financial provision for a child then your costs to a final hearing will be similar. If both of these matters are going to court then the court will consolidate them and deal with them at the same time.
A cohabitation agreement normally costs in the region of £2,500 plus VAT but can be more depending on exactly what needs to be included in it.
Please call us to talk through your particular circumstances so that we can give you a clearer indication of costs. Our Bromley team are available on 020 8290 7992 and you can reach our Surrey team on 01483 284567. For Sevenoaks please call 01732 446374 and for central London the number is 020 7481 6393.